Thursday, May 6, 2010

Potty training


First off I want to tell you a story......Once upon a time I was a babysitter. I sat for a family right around the corner from my parents house. There was a 3 year old boy and a one year old girl. They were so much fun! The only thing that drove me crazy was that the 3 year old was not potty trained. From that day on I always thought to my self I will NEVER be one of those moms that has a 3 year old that is not potty trained.

Grrrrrrr! Let me just say that. I was sitting there today, looking at my son thinking I wonder if im alone? I wonder if im the only mom that doesn't care if my kid is potty trained? DON'T get me wrong I want him to eventually use the potty like a normal big boy but as of this very minute I really could care less. Does that make me a bad mom? Who knew it was so DANG hard to make a toddler first off want to learn this weird new talent and second constantly do it for the rest of his life. I think part of it is that I have twin 1 year old girls. I just don't have TIME to do it. I know I need to devote my attention to him so that he really wants to do it.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have read how to potty train a kid in a day, I have bribed him, I have scolded him and lo and behold none of it works. I know that he gets the concept and he HAS done it before. I just think he doesn't WANT to, and when he doesn't want to do something he WON'T. I have tried putting him in big boy underpants but then I end up just cleaning up after him all day long!

Just for everyone's information Ethan  is 3 years and 5 months old. I don't know if that is a normal potty training age or if I am just mega paranoid.

I guess I am hoping that one day Ethan will just come up to me and say " Mommy I don't want to wear diapers anymore" Well lets keep our fingers crossed for that day to come.





3 comments:

Mandy B said...

I have gotten a lot of advice about this subject. I hear boys are harder and that there has to be a schedule. One friend doesn't leave the house for a week and has her kid on a half hour schedule of sitting on the potty. I hear of others leaving their kids to run naked and then keep and eye on them. I have luckily gotten Linus to go poop on the toilet and now he knows that's what he is supposed to do. If he doesn't have a diaper on, he'll ask to go on the potty. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep him from peeing on my floor. So, it's tough and I can imagine with your twins it's even harder. In the long run, he'll let you know when he's ready and then you'll need to stay consistent with him. He'll learn. And you'll find his sweet spot with the rewards that he'll want to go. With Linus, it's easy. All he wants to do in life is to flush the toilet. LOL. And no, you aren't a bad mom. You are doing what is good for you and your family.

*The Hales Family* said...

Shannon-my advice...let him run around with no underpants on...give him a treat only while he sits on the potty. We sat Colin smack dab in front of the tv and only let him watch if he sat on his potty! And ask him ever half hour! Work hard for a week...he'll get it and once he does it'll be sooo much easier!

Anonymous said...

The ONLY thing that worked for me was to give up. I know that sounds silly and a little bit lazy. But once I let up on all the nagging and the scolding and the bribing-it took about 3 weeks for Myles and about a month for Jack but they literally woke up one morning and WANTED to go potty in te toilet. If they did have an accident I didn't yell at them I'd just make THEM take care of it (wipe it up, put their underwear in the laundry, get new underwear...) and within a week it was like they had always been potty trained. All the drama was far behind...
So my advice I guess is just to give up and let him decide when he's ready.

p.s. Also I let my boys take their video game in their while they sat on the potty. It helped a ton!

Happy Halloween

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!